I submitted three different geometric patterns I thought would complement Polite Provisions’ design aesthetic, providing two mockup images of each design using captures from Google Streetview. The team decided they liked the third design the most, so that’s what I set out to paint.
Now after much consideration and forethought, I decided the best way to get this design onto the box was to put down a base layer of faux white marble. After researching techniques for achieving convincing faux marble textures, I decided it was in my best interest to paint this box using spray paint versus a brush because the time to paint this with a brush would be quite considerable. Also, spray paint offered the even more convenient option of using a pre-made faux finish to emulate the texture and graining of the stone, and one that I found to be more than adequately convincing — Montana Gold’s Marble Effect.
The base layer is comprised of 3 warmish white and grey tones applied in stripes and patches, then a layer of silver Marble Effect applied in a veining pattern, and finally for some contrast, a black layer of the Marble Effect which was again, applied in a deliberate veining pattern.
Unfortunately before I could proceed to the next step of the process—stenciling the tile pattern in layers—someone defaced my paint with some kind of black, greasy, smudge-able spray paint (presumably weather/waterproof because it was raining very heavily the night before when the box was defaced). This determined vandal made sure to spray swathes of uneven black paint on all four sides to ensure I’d have to repaint it before I could continue.
I’m pretty damn stubborn though so I took it in stride and repainted the base layer. The repairs don’t look too bad considering how difficult it was to get coverage over the black splotches, but I wasn’t able to add as much black veining in as I had before because I only had part of the black Marble Effect can left, and since I had to special order it in the first place, getting another was going to put this project too far behind schedule.
This pattern contains 4 colors but because the base layer is white marble already, we only need to stencil the remaining 3 colors:
I had a few somewhat unexpected issues with the two large handles on either side of the box making it difficult to properly apply my stencils. Additionally, on the side of the box that faces the street, there was a yellow metal post that that been bent inwards towards the surface of the box, which was certainly a challenging obstacle to effectively paint around. My solution was to opt for a strip of faux black marble for that half of the box. It’s a welcome change though, because now someone walking or driving by gets a totally different view of the box depending on what side they approach from. All in all, I’m pretty happy with how this piece turned out — but I hope if you’re reading this that you’ll drop by and check it out for yourself sometime.